Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Skinny on Sea Salt


Erin Traill, diamond beachbody coach, sea salt, fit mom, nurse, healthy recipe, pittsburgh

I'm sure you see it everywhere - "made with sea salt" - and maybe like me, you made the switch without much thought... I honestly didn't think about it until one of my coaches asked me why... I had to be honest, and say I had no clue - which is unlike me cause I usually research everything! So here are my findings:

Is it really from the sea?

  • Sea salt is obtained directly through the evaporation of seawater. It is usually not processed, or undergoes minimal processing, and therefore retains trace levels of minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium and other nutrients.

And table salt is made how?

  • Table salt, on the other hand, is mined from salt deposits and then processed to give it a fine texture so it’s easier to mix and use in recipes. Processing strips table salt of any minerals it may have contained, and additives are also usually added to prevent clumping or caking.

So is it better for you??

Erin Traill, diamond beachbody coach, sea salt, fit mom, nurse, healthy recipe, pittsburghSea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often promoted as being healthier. Sea salt and table salt contain comparable amounts of sodium by weight.
Whichever type of salt you enjoy, do so in moderation. Sodium is required by our body but way too often we are consuming too much! The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting sodium to less than 2,300 milligrams a day — a little over a teaspoon!

The next time you find yourself choosing between kosher salt, sea salt and table salt, remember that it’s probably mostly a matter of letting your taste buds decide. But whichever option you choose, keep in mind that both usually contain the same amount of sodium.


No comments :

Post a Comment