Friday, May 29, 2015

The Skinny on - Eggs!

Erin Traill, diamond beachbody coach, fit mom, eggs, brown eggs, farm fresh, organic, 21 day fix approved, healthy lifestyle, dramatic weight loss, weight loss success story, fit nurse, pittsburgh

So when it comes time to buy eggs - do you know what you are doing, or looking for? I surely didn't! I thought oh brown eggs, more expensive must be better for you - But is it? When you are looking at an egg carton, do you even know what it all means? I didn't have a clue, well until now and I found it quite interesting, but I'm kinda a dork like that lol
Erin Traill, diamond beachbody coach, fit mom, eggs, brown eggs, farm fresh, organic, 21 day fix approved, healthy lifestyle, dramatic weight loss, weight loss success story, fit nurse, pittsburgh
Okay - ready? I was really surprised -- The difference between brown and white eggs is --> White-
feathered chickens with white ear lobes lay white eggs and red-feathered ones with red ear lobes lay brown eggs... But when you get down to the egg, nutritionally there is no difference -- it's all just in the looks. SAY WHAT!?

Now I was confused because I swear to you, I thought the brown eggs tasted better -- but I found out the flavor difference is related to age or freshness of the egg!

So once I discovered this, I also wanted to know - what does all the junk on the label mean? And again, I was really surprised!


Cage-free, free-range. Hens are uncaged and inside warehouses. They can walk around, nest, and spread their wings but generally don’t have access to the outdoors. As for free range, there are no standards for eggs. To me, this still sounds like a cage!

Grade. Department of Agriculture grading is voluntary, and companies pay for it. Grades are AA, A, and B. Grade depends on the quality of yolk and white and the shell’s condition. Within any grade, size can differ. All USDA-graded eggs must have been washed and sanitized.

Omega-3. Hens were given feed that included flax, marine algae, fish oils, and other ingredients to boost the level of ­omega-3 fatty acid in their eggs.

Organic. Eggs with a USDA organic seal come from a facility checked by accredited certifiers and from hens raised on feed grown without synthetic pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, or fertilizers. The hens are supposed to have outdoor access, but there’s some question as to whether that claim is adequately enforced. Most organic eggs cost more than conventional ones partly because of the price of feed, smaller flock size, and certification costs.

Vegetarian. The hens have eaten all-grain feed with no animal byproducts.

Hormone-free, antibiotic-free. Empty claim!!! No hormones or antibiotics are used in producing eggs for human consumption.

No comments :

Post a Comment